Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Beginnings

Once upon a time there living a little squirrel who loved her acorns very much....

Okay, so that might be true somewhere, but not here. I am not a squirrel. In fact, the idea of a squirrel typing on a laptop is a little silly to imagine, isn't it? I'm just a simple Pagan woman who has an obsession with squirrels. However, I like to think that the squirrel picked me. I identify with the squirrel for many reasons - not just because it was my first nickname as a child.

Squirrels are playful creatures with lots of energy. As a child that fit me to a T, but I think that can also describe lots of children or every child. Of course, as an adult I think this still fits me well along with the other symbolism of the great and wonderful squirrel. What are the others? Prudence, balance, socializing, preparation, resourcefulness, thrift, gathering, and trust. Okay, so I don't fit them all, but the ones I don't have always been goals in my life. Therefore, the squirrel is my perfect animal totem.

Earlier I stated that I like to say the squirrel picked me. I'm sure many people wonder, "How did the squirrel do that?" Well, aside from always seeming to show up in my life the most memorable was last year. I'd been studying Native American Shamanism and had been hearing about how some people I know had gotten their "Indian Names". I heard everything from a dying grandmother bestowing a name on her granddaughter just before death to a man who befriended elders of a tribe where he was given a name for his entrance in a helicopter - or something to that method. I must admit, I was quite jealous. I wanted a name! So decided that night to say a simple prayer to the Great Spirit:

"Dear Great Spirit, who is the the Mother and Father of us all. I ask that you send me a dream of my 'Indian Name' if I am to have one. Thank you."

That was all I did and then went to sleep. No dreams came, but I was awaken by the most horrible sound! I jumped out of bed, nearly flying, as I thought someone was breaking into my apartment! My bed as about a foot from the window where the noise had come from. Again, another sound came. I was freaking out and with adrenaline pumping, I pulled up my window blinds to find this little guy climbing my window!


It seems he was trying to get to my window bird feeder that I had put up months ago. I busted up laughing, and since then I insist that the Great Spirit has an odd sense of humor. So that is why I am The Pagan Squirrel, or at least most of it. I'm sure my friends could come up with other reasons for it.

Either way, that is the name for my blog. Which will be full of squirrelly things and random chattering about life. It's also possible other things will pop up from time to time depending on what is happening in my neck of the woods. I hope you'll stay and play with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment